Staying in Austin after Family Orientation? Take advantage of this time to explore the UT campus and all that Austin has to offer. Below, you'll find recommendations for things to do on campus and beyond.
Click here to learn more about the many campus destinations such as the Blanton Museum of Art, Harry Ransom Center and the LBJ Presidential Library.
Student-led walking tours of campus are available free of charge on most Wednesdays afternoons. Tours are 1.5 hours and cover roughly two miles, so please be prepared to walk outside in the Texas summer heat. Click here to learn more and to register for a tour.
The #BleedOrangeLiveGreen walking tour is a great way enjoy campus while learning about sustainability in and around the Forty Acres. Developed by the UT Austin Office of Sustainability, this self-guided, self-paced tour takes about 50 minutes and covers roughly 2 miles. Click here to learn more.
Family Orientation guests can use Recreational Sports Facilities
Families attending orientation are welcome to use the Recreational Sports facilities during each session. Simply present photo ID and indicate you are on campus for Family Orientation. Children’s hours will apply for those ages 15 and under. If you have questions, please call (512)471-6370 or stop by the Recreational Sport's office in Gregory Gym, Room 2.200, weekdays 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Visit UTRecSports.org to learn more about the facilities.
Get to know the city that your student will soon call home. Check out some of our favorite places to eat and things to do in Austin.
Some things never go out of style. Here are some great places we think you’ll want to see sometime during your student’s UT years:
- The Blanton Museum of Art (0.2 miles)
- LBJ Presidential Library (0.9 miles)
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum (1.5 miles)
- Texas State Capitol (1.6 miles)
- The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center (1.8 miles)
- Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (2.8 miles)
- Peter Pan Mini Golf (3.8 miles)
- Zilker Park (4.3 miles)
- Barton Springs Pool (4.7 miles)
- Zilker Botanical Garden (4.8 miles)
- Mount Bonnell (5.1 miles)
- South Congress Shopping and Dining (7.5 miles)
- Barton Creek Greenbelt (7.7 miles)
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (13.5 miles)
Family Orientation guests can tour Texas Hillel
Texas Hillel is a home away from home for all Jewish college students in Austin. Families attending orientation are invited to visit Texas Hillel at 2105 San Antonio Street on Tuesday, from 1-3pm for tours and refreshments. If you have questions, please contact Helaine Wolf, (210)325-8618 or at email@example.com. To learn more about Texas Hillel, visit texashillel.org.
Here are some iconic Austin eateries you may want to experience while in Austin:
Close to Campus:
- Taco Joint (0.6 miles)
- Torchy's Tacos (0.7 miles)
- Kerbey Lane Café (0.7 miles)
- Trudy's (1.0 miles)
- Stubb’s BBQ (1.4 miles)
- P. Terry's Burger Stand (1.8 miles)
- Dirty Martin’s Hamburgers (1.8 miles)
- Spiderhouse Café (1.8 miles)
- El Patio (1.8 miles)
- Hyde Park Bar and Grill (2.2 miles)
- Amy’s Ice Cream (2.4 miles)
- Ironworks BBQ (2.6 miles)
- Contigo (2.6 miles)
- Hula Hut (3.5 miles)
- Juan in a Million (3.5 miles)
- Pinthouse Pizza (3.8 miles)
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar (3.9 miles)
- Home Slice Pizza (4.0 miles)
- Sandy's Hamburgers (4.5 miles)
- Mozarts Coffee Roasters (4.6 miles)
- County Line BBQ (5.8 miles)
- Chez Zee American Bistro (6.4 miles)
- Ramen Tatsu-ya (6.7 miles)
- The Oasis on Lake Travis (16.8 miles)
- The Salt Lick BBQ (19.6 miles)